Res-food theory

And herewith my final blog post as a first year journalism student…

As future journalists, or so we are told, we shall work in a very diverse field and find ourselves in an array of scenarios very different to our own backgrounds. From this came our last assignment in which our lecturers required of us to go out and do something we’ve never done, and blog on it. Having done several drastic things throughout the year, I decided to take a subtler approach and instead look into the res[idence]-food-theory, one that states that res-food (doesn’t matter which dining hall) will never match mom’s cooking (with the only variable here your mom being a bad cook!). For this experiment I went to dine with my friend Dee at her dining hall on the other side of campus so to speak. The result - simple:

On arrival I was surprised by how different the dining hall looked to the one I usually eat at: this one being much older and lacking the modern design of all round glass windows and sliding doors. Once you enter through its old wooden doorframes you enter a whole different era and space than that on the other side of the threshold you crossed a second ago. Dee summed it up very well when she told me a while ago that it has “a Harry Potter feel to it”. This was quite clear, with the wooden floor, wooden chairs and tables – all probably older than me - and a collection of coats of arms of all the residences making up the hall, hanging on the wall opposite of the entrance, boasting with a definite authority that speaks of valued tradition.

The line to get food was also much shorter than the usual one I wait in, and apparently always is. They have a functioning toaster too, one people in my dining hall would kill for, and a practical layout of the juice machine, coffee mugs and other minor things. Once through the food line I joined Dee’s friendly table, and there I found the universal truth in their first words: My mom said it, my dad said it, my friends from all over the country say it, and probably anyone who ever lived in a varsity residence said it…so you can now take their word for it: res food will never match mom’s cooking! You might however want to try out the different layouts and toaster though…


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would seem that res food has not changed since my days, yonks ago - despite the sophisticated menus and all.. We had to make do with one item on the menu: food of the day. I am sure the old-worlde feel of the other dining hall must have given you an indication of what the older generations have experienced :) Dwoman

Post a Comment