A life as a journo after all

As first year Rhodes bloggers our first mission with our blogs was to give them a name, which for any blog is crucial in out lining the theme as well as well as the target audience you want to attract. Of the blogs that I searched for review, the title “What life I do journ?” appealed to me because, one of the main challenges that we were tasked with, was to create a blog that was relevant and one that students journalists could be able to relate to their own daily path of learning and practicing the craft. Out of a scale of 1 to 10, they were very successful in attracting me to their blog because as a student journo, the name led me to expect them to find innovative ideas through the narratives published, in detailing their own experiences that caused them to believe that a life outside of our craft is impossible. When I logged into their blog, I found that their palette which is painted with different colours that complement each other and interesting gadgets, although menial allow one to search the blog without trouble. Their titles were striking and fairly well written, particularly Camagwini Dolweni’s (Blogging Shmogging), an opinion piece on how she does not consider blogging as journalism. I must confess myself disappointed that the blog does not do enough to convince us that journ students do not have lives. The blog could have stuck to the title by publishing and engaging first year experiences of journ students more.

No comments:

Post a Comment