The Horrors of Hat Head!




A cowboy hat on a cold, yet still supposed ‘summer’s day’ in Grahamstown, who would dare pull off such a fashion faux pas? I did despite an assortment of mixed emotions because, after all, I would be ruining what I like to call my own style by wearing, oh the horrors, a cowboy hat. I expected to feel out of place yet maybe experience a different side of Grahamstown by wearing the dreaded cowboy hat. The feeling of being ‘out of place’ is something I am not used to, being a very friendly person, and I believe I needed to step out of my comfort zone by doing something that I view as strange.

Stepping out of my residence, I felt anxious about what was going to happen and who I was going to see because, after all, I looked rather weird in a cowboy hat and a hoodie. This look is not exactly in Vogue’s (or any fashion magazine) top ten best looks category and I do enjoy dressing nicely. The wind, blowing my hat off at every opportunity it got, making me feel even more stupid than I already felt. People walking past me oddly enough did not really pay me much attention which is not what I expected at all. A few perplexed glances were the most attention I got from strangers and even then, I probably imagined most of it owing to my own insecurities about wearing the cowboy hat. My friends walking past did however comment on my unusual attire and asked “What the hell are you wearing Kait? Are you going somewhere?” or went “Yihaaaw ride ‘em cowgirl” which did bring a smile to my lips. At a friend’s braai, in the afternoon, my friend hosting the party kept stealing my hat off my head and it became almost a novelty item funnily enough!

These reactions were totally unexpected and for the most part I found the day to be rather entertaining than awful. People laughed at my hat but I would also laugh and think it was for some special occasion. The hat became a talking point and no-one (that I know of) judged me for wearing it! What I did not foresee, however, was the hat head that I discovered on taking the cowboy hat off, and this was the worst thing that had happened the whole day, which I see as having a great day! A cowboy hat on a cold day, I could see myself wearing that…

No comments:

Post a Comment