Touch my blood on stage

My learner colleagues and I have had the task of doing research on one of the most popular writers that this country has seen. Fred Khumalo, Sunday Times columnist as well as award winning book writer who has had the pleasure of having one of his books, which happens to be his autobiography being adapted as a stage play.

The book, “Touch my blood”, was adapted as a stage piece, by one of South Africa’s leading directors, James Ngcobo and was show cased in our very own Rhodes theatre during the national arts festival this year. Being a drama student and having watched the play after reading the book, I must confess myself disappointed by the efforts made by James Ngcobo and his chosen cast. This is surprising seeing that he is renowned for being able to take a literary piece and give it theatrical value which I have seen him do with “The Suitcase” by Es’kia Mphahlele and a few other adaptations that have had wonderful ratings. Unfortunately, the play, “Touch my blood” was lacking in capturing the most important aspects of the book which was impressively well written. The performance levels, although not of a poor standard were not fitting for a theatre piece which requires for the performers to show the story to the audience rather than to tell it. The long, yet crucial monologues could hardly be heard over the exaggerated use of the props which ended up taking away from the dramatic tension rather than adding to it.

James Ngcobo is a good director, but he missed the mark on this play. I think that he should re-vist the idea and give the piece another try. With the correct directing, Touch my blood as a play could become award winning.
In the video, see a snippet of the play and Fred Khumalo’s thoughts on the work done.
http://www.myvideo.co.za/video/premiere-of-touch-my-blood

No comments:

Post a Comment