I have a voice, how dare I not speak

Yesterday I was told that my place was to not ask questions beyond the answers given to me by the wiser. Yesterday I sat, barred on the sideline of life, giving the expected standing ovation to the shots at goal that were on target and at the same time cringe to those missed opportunities and hope for better luck next time. Even when I saw the individuals aiming at the posts go in the incorrect direction, my queue was to hold my own as my voice of intervention was not part of the social contract that bound me to my position of expectation. Today my professor directs his finger at me and tells me that the international world needs me. He tells me that not only do I need to ask questions, but also that through the questions that I ask I have the power to bring about the change that will determine the generations that follow.

In thinking about such a great responsibility thrown at me in a pass-by statement, I wrecked my brain, exhausting all my years spent in the classroom, learning how to think critically, so that I could figure out how it is possible to climb this mountain that this man points me to as though it is nothing more than a mere mole hill. It is as I am about to deem this mission impossible that the word journalism brings to me my ahaah moment. Being an epiphany-holic, I realise that offcourse journalism is the way. Not only did this re-assure me that my Saturday afternoons spent on those tutorial assignments on news values were no time wasted, but that they are a fundamental in my plans to change this world.

Journalism is becoming the fastest and most reliable way to have our voices heard. Newspapers, television, radio and internet services like blogging are providing us the platform to keep up with what has been defined the information age. My aim is to equip myself with this information so that the statements that I make, those that I expect to negotiate the lives must hold water. For far too long we have sat by and watched lives ending because we were too afraid to ask why or why not, and even when we did, the correct people were not around to hear us. Today it is no longer about our voices not being heard but rather about how much of an impact they make. Now is the time to question the unquestioned so that we can get the answers that create hope for the now very bleak tomorrow. With journalism we can change this world if we open our eyes to each others voices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

although we all have a voice it is sometimes difficult because we speak out of turn and end up doing more harm than good. it is people like you that need help us know when to speak and what we can say that will make a difference

good post paperbrain im looking forwad to engaging with you in changing this world

Post a Comment